Spring has sprung so we decided to do some housekeeping at the Gondola Project and update our urban gondola map.
Since our last update in November 2016, we’ve documented another 19 new urban ropeway proposals — pushing the total proposal list to over 140.
For new urban cable car lines, three systems have since opened for passenger service: 1) Línea H (Medellin); 2)Línea Azul (La Paz-El Alto); and 3) Eagle Skylift (Arthurs Seat).
Based on the compiled data, proposed systems ranged from simple 300m lines up to massive 42,000m ropeways spread over 20+ stations. Geographically, proposals were split into the following continents:
- Africa: 4%
- Asia: 18%
- Australia: 5%
- Europe: 34%
- North America: 23%
- South America: 16%
For those who peruse the map, it might be useful to keep in mind that proposals simply represent ones that have made a public announcement. Chances are, countless systems are currently being planned and designed without any public notification.
Furthermore, reader’s should note that the system’s documented (mostly) represent ropeways built in a non-ski lift/urban setting and are no longer limited to just mass transit cable cars. The map’s scope was expanded since the term Cable Propelled Transit (CPT) or mass transit cable cars was failing to fully capture all the ropeway activity happening in the urban market.
While we try our best to keep ourselves afloat with all the comings and goings of the industry, we certainly wouldn’t be able to compile everything without the help of our readers who’ve shared countless dozens of proposals/systems with us.
So, as always, if we’ve missed anything (and chances are that we have), please let us know!
NEW PROPOSALS ADDED
- Bratislava (Stanica Nivy – Petržalka) — March 2017
- Thiers (Moutier – Rue Terrasse) — February 2017
- Inglostadt — February 2017
- Orléans Téléphérique — February 2017
- Tlaxcala — February 2017
- Bochum (Ruhr University – Ostpark – Mark 517) — January 2017
- Boulder (downtown – University Hill) — January 2017
- Chiatura – Sanatorium (სანატორიუმი) — January 2017
- Chiatura – Naguti (ნაგუთი) — January 2017
- Chiatura – Lezhubani (ლეჟუბანი) — January 2017
- Chiatiura – Mukhadze (მუხაძე) — January 2017
- Ho Chi Minh (Tan Son Nhat Int’l Airport) — January 2017
- Encarnacion/Posadas — January 2017
- Amsterdam (Ei aan het IJ) — January 2017
- New York State Fair Gondola — January 2017
- Mcleong Ganj Dharamshala — January 2017
- Jialing Cableway — December 2016
- Réunion Téléphérique — December 2016
- Planet Cable Car (Planetenseilbahn) — November 2016
- Balanga City — November 2016
- Shin-Kobe Ropeway — Dossier
- Constantine Cable Car — Dossier
- Teleférico Metropolitano — Dossier
- Yenimahalle – Sentepe (Ankara) Cable Car — Dossier
NEW SYSTEMS ADDED
- Línea Azul (La Paz-El Alto) — March 2017
- Línea H (Medellin) — December 2016
- Eagle Skylift (Arthurs Seat) — December 2016
- Turtle Lake Ropeway (Tblisi) — September 2016